The Bibliographical Society of the University of Virginia was founded in 1947 at the University in Charlottesville in order to promote interest in books and manuscripts, maps, printing, the graphic arts, and bibliography and textual criticism. Within a few years these interests had resulted in exhibitions, contests for student book collectors and Virginia printers, the establishment of a small press, an international speakers’ series, and an active publications program. In its seventy-two years the Society has produced about 178 separate publications–in addition to 54 issues of its Secretary’s News Sheet and 60 volumes of its journal Studies in Bibliography. The current editor, David L. Vander Meulen, welcomes submissions on matters of bibliographical method and evidence.
A full account of the Society and its activities is available in The Bibliographical Society of the University of Virginia: The First Fifty Years.